January 10, 2007

Overpriced Eggs


There are places in the city that people always rave about but when I get there it's not at all what I expect. The City Bakery is one of these places. I heard that the hot chocolate is out of this world and the croissants are melt in your mouth fabulous but my experience was completely different. I walk in and my first impression is cafeteria. I asked the counter person how it works. You can ask for breakfast items and coffee at the front or pick up plates or to go containers for lunch fare in the back. All lunch items are priced per pound, which if you're not careful, can lead to a very expensive meal. I ordered eggs and a walnut roll with coffee. Total-$8. I took my overpriced eggs to a table which was full of crumbs and old newspapers. Overall, the food was good but my eggs got cold instantly. The service was fair and the atmosphere was reminiscent of high school but older.