January 17, 2007

Exercise or Bust

In this fast-paced city, there's always the feeling that you've never done enough. If you're not running from this place to the other you're called lazy or a couch potato. I try to fill my day with the usual suspects: work, eating, working out, friends. But I'm overrun with guilt about my exercise quota. Maybe I'm not doing enough. In a week, how many classes/workout sessions is enough? At the start of the new year I was on a roll. On Tues. Jan 2nd I took a Stretch class at 10am and a Hot Yoga class at 8pm. On Wed. Jan 3rd I took a Pilates mat class at 11am and a Yoga class right after. On Friday Jan. 5th I took Lunchtime Yoga and a Ballet class at 6pm. Not to mention all the physical work that I do while I'm teaching. Well, after that exhausting week I've been on a backslide. I've gone from doing everything to barely doing anything. I need to find balance. I get emails all the time in regards to finding balance and my advice is: if you want to accomplish your exercise goals, schedule it in. You have to make it official. And so, to this end I am scheduling myself for Yoga on Mondays and Wednesdays, Pilates on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Ballet on Fridays. Weekends off. I'll keep you posted as to my success (or failure).